START SAVING THIS WINTER
As national temperatures continue to drop, the demand to heat our homes and offices increases significantly. Save money this winter by making a few New Year’s resolutions to save energy.
1) Door Seals: Cold air can enter the house through open cracks and gaps from doors, windows, and floors. Simple, weather stripping and foam seals will reduce cold drafts and keep your home warmer.
2) Seal baseboards and caulk windows: Feel your hand around the bottom of your baseboards to detect where cold air might be getting into the living space.
3) Wrap the water heater and ducts and change the filters:
Making your HVAC perform at maximum efficiency will save on the bottom line. Check for leaks in the ducts. Leaks in the ductwork can increase cost by up to 30% and reduce comfort. Also, a new air filter helps the air flow and increases comfort.
4) Add a door sweep to rooms that you use less frequently: Significant air flow can occur through the space between the bottom of the door and the floor. Fill this area with a threshold sweep from your local hardware store.
5) Replace your old thermostat: Programmable and Smart thermostats can reduce heating costs by monitoring your system to run only when you need it.
Make your New Year’s resolutions save you money by taking these few steps for saving this winter.